home                      open university

Friday, June 02, 2006

Heart to heart!

This morning (having had mild chest pains for 2 days), I took me a taxi to the A&E department. I took my ticket, sat down and then read a notice on the wall saying that if you had chest pains you were to see the receptionist. So I did that and was immediately whisked in for an ECG! That (and my BP) was fine, so I thought that was it - but, no, next stop was a small cubicle, a glam paper gown and a student nurse. "Do you know where you are?" "Who is the prime-minister?" And she then proceeded to write down that 'valuables' on my person were 3 rings, 2 necklaces and a pair of earrings. Then I had to count the money in my purse, and the number of credit cards! Did I have diarrhoea? Did any of my family have diarrhoea?? After she'd gone (she did my pulse and BP again and I *nearly* had another ECG), I laid there and wondered what I was doing there! Finally, a very nice Indian doctor examined my heart and lungs (oh please not an X-ray - I don't want to know!), palpated my buddha stomach, felt my ankles for swelling and my neck for bumps - and then sent me on my way! It seems that it is, as I had thought (and rather hoped!), a muscular thing -probably caused by exercising arm muscles with a can of beans and a tin of veggie soup!! They didn't mind in the least though that I had wasted their time. God bless our NHS! Not perfect - but wonderful, none-the-less!

No comments: